Pompons look great on hats! Some of my hat patterns already feature pompons, but you can easily add them to almost any of my designs. They're really simple to make. Here's how:
1. Cut 2 circles from rigid card the size that you want your pompom to be. Cut a circle in the centre of each. I like to make it just under half the diameter of the main circle. Cut a long length of yarn and wind it into a sausage shape that will just fit through the hole in the centre of the cardboard circles.
2. Place the 2 cardboard circles together. Wind the yarn through the centre, round the circle, back through the centre and so on to give close and even coverage. Eventually the hole in the centre will get too small to get the sausage of yarn through. At that point use a tapestry needle to take the end of the yarn through the centre.
3. Continue until no more yarn will fit through the centre hole.
4. Use a sharp pair of scissors to cut through the layers of yarn around the circumference of the circle.
5. Take a length of yarn and pass between the 2 cardboard circles. Tie a tight knot as close to the centre of the pompom as you can to hold all the layers of the pompom together.
6. Cut through the cardboard and remove. Use the ends of the yarn to tie the pompom to your hat.
Now every hat can have a pompom!